Museo del Prado
Construction of The Museo del Prado began during the reign of Charles III. This "prado" (meaning meadow in Spanish) gave its name to the area, and later still to the museum itself upon nationalization. Work on the building stopped between the conclusion of Charles III's reign and during the Peninsular War and was only initiated again during the reign of Charles III's grandson, Ferdinand VII. The structure was used as headquarters for the cavalry and a gunpowder-store for the Napoleonic troops based in Madrid during the War of Independence. Upon the deposition of Isabella II in 1868, the museum was nationalized and acquired the new name of Museo del Prado.