Southwark Cathedral


Southwark Cathedral was originally the church of the Augustinian Priory of St. Mary Overie and became the parish church of St. Saviour in 1540 after Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries (it did not become a cathedral until 1905). The cathedral is the burial place of Shakespeare’s brother Edmund (died 1607), a member of the Southwark players, and of Jacobean dramatists John Fletcher (died 1625) and Philip Massinger (died 1640). There is a memorial to Shakespeare in the south aisle.

Created with Web Album Generator